Prometheus Blu-ray Reveals Blade Runner Connection
Although the timeline of Prometheus and Blade Runner are separated by seventy years, an Easter Egg on Prometheus Blu-Ray suggests the stories take place in the same world. The special feature reveals a few lines of text written by Peter Weyland (the elderly CEO of Weyland Corporation that funds the expedition aboard the scientific vessel Prometheus).
The text talks about Weyland’s mentor, a creator of synthetic lifeforms. It is clear that Weyland is talking about Eldon Tyrell, the head of Tyrell Corporation which produces synthetic humanoids known as replicants.
A mentor and long-departed competitor once told me that it was time to put away childish things and abandon my “toys”. He encouraged me to come work for him and together we would take over the world and become the new Gods. That’s how he ran his corporation, like a God on top of a pyramid overlooking a city of angels. Of course, he chose to replicate the power of creation in an unoriginal way, by simply copying God. And look how that turned out for the poor bastard. Literally blew up in the old man’s face. I always suggested he stick with simple robotics instead of those genetic abominations he enslave and sold off-world, although his idea to implant them with false memories was, well… “amusing,” is how I would put it politely.
In a brief analysis of the text we could find that:
- Weyland’s mentor told him to abandon his ‘toys’, a phrase that Tyrell used to tell to his most talented designer, J.F. Sebastian, because of his toy friends.
- Weyland says his mentor ran his corporation like a God on top of a pyramid overlooking a city of angels. The shape of the Tyrell Corporation building was pyramidal and it was located in Los Angeles.
- Weyland says he chose to replicate the power of creation, copying God. Tyrell Corporation made genetically engineered humans called replicants. ‘Nuff said.
- The whole thing blew up in the old man’s face. A very sarcastic way to remember how Roy killed Tyrell.
- Genetic abominations he enslave and sold off-world. Replicants were used to work in off-world colonies.
- Implant them with false memories. Rachael was an experimental replicant with false memory implants to make her think she was human.
It is too early to tell but, this could be the beginning of a crossover between Blade Runner and Prometheus, with a Blade Runner sequel bridging the space between the two. One can dream, right?
Latest posts by Analia (see all)
- First Look at Ender’s Game – Check the Trailer! - 11 May, 2013
- Red Carpet Conversations About ’42′ - 3 May, 2013
- Harrison Ford Opens Fortune Magazine’s Three-day Conference - 1 May, 2013